Microsoft Windows or Apple Linux for the record

Not to soap box.... But, well, lets just start this post of with the proper tone... GRRRRRRRRR

OK - so here's the scoop!   Lets do a little Music Math from the depths of Music Recording Hell!
Windows 10 + 24gigs RAM, 12 Core CPU + 5 TB drives of Data + 1TB Cloud + latest of every cook plugin you can think of = what?   I large set of data that can take a shit ton of time to restore if things go bad right?   So if you take the 2 TB os drive + the 5 TB of nearline recording storage + the online 1tb file share you have roughly about 10 days of restore time if that bad boy should decide to burp...
Lets factor in the frequent policy of Microsoft to update the code set every two weeks with patches and then throw in a rather poor practice of testing updates on their customer base and so what does all of that equal?

Lots and Lots of time lost if Microsofts crack team of coding hipsters send out a bogus patch...
Imagine yourself immersed in a world of recording, creating and being generally creative and then POW!,  like a comet falling from the sky, those updates are blowing up your operating system and momentum!
Well, I don't like to rant and rave but I couldn't help myself but ponder the notion about the main difference between recording with an Apple or a Windows Recording System.   The conclusion I have come to is there is one very major difference between the Windows OS and the Mac OSx that stands clear from a user perspective.  I am going to try and be succinct on those subtle changes that are taking place right before your eyes!   A very brief and select reason not to choose a windows system for your recording software.

#1)   Time - you spend most of it jerking around with the system rather than using the AVID Application.
#2)   Windows will screw you every time!  (Don't believe me?  I can show you the bone orchard of Windows Systems that litter my garage and yet the one Mac we have still stands 5+ years and still going)
#3)   Linux/Unix has a long history of "Just Working" with manufacturers hardware and for the extra couple hundred dollars, why are we all torturing ourselves with a system that simply put "Can't Handle" the stress of the rigors of recording!  

OK - So I know what your thinking, its all dependent on the user, the hardware, the specifics if you will, blah, blah, blah... The argument could be made that I have a bias?  I don't...really I don't!  I have my Microsoft Certifications and all I can think about every time I work on a PC for recording is "Why didn't I buy the G@D D@mN Apple!".  I have debated this vigorously and often and always the same outcome....always the same conclusion... Apples rarely die because they use not just the good stuff in their products, but the right stuff.   I can probably man up and admit I am not using 100% Grade A parts but there is a reasonably good chunk of change on this chassis between hardware, software and plugins!

For argument sake, lets say I have been left stranded by both OS systems while in the studio grinding away on the hard drives.  I think the real answer is buy AVID Certified Hard Drives and NEVER - Western Digital or something rated as a bottom performer for top shelf reliability and performance.   The moral of the story is ultimately, Time has a value.  If you can't pay for the right equipment up front, you will certainly pay with blood sweat and tears on the back 40 and ultimately become the "God of Dead Technology" that has zero value in the resale world of computer parts.   I have decided that I need options when recording and a daily backup to the cloud is now a ritual that shall not soon be forgotten as part of my recording process.

The cloud storage is worth the extra cabbage and probably a lot of lost takes and momentum.  Sometimes your the bear, sometimes the bear gets you!  Sometimes the bear is disguised as Microsoft and has a regularly scheduled date with stomping in your campground so please shut off regular updates and skip all of the "Pc Drama" that I just experienced.  Lets not forget lost time and and lost momentum.   I have been avoiding the temptations of drinking during my recording but I have to say a beer never sounded so good!
-  My soap box for today with the added bonus of my 2 cents - Jimmy


   

Comments

Popular Posts