Influence . . .

 

 
Speaking of influences. We have so many it's rediculous. Way more than most musicians or bands do, it seems. More diverse too. That being said - We both love anything from the 70's. The classics, to the one hit wonders and everything in between. We grew up in that era and formed our earliest musical sensabilities during that time and on into the early 80's. We're kind of men out of time, meaning we would've fit perfectly into the 70's had we been making music then.

We are a true original (As much as anyone can be), but still, like it or not, all those influences show up in what you do.

It's been fun for me to pick out and identify which ones I hear that have come through subconsciously so far. Since music is so subjective, each listener may hear different ones. There's so many that I have noticed here and there. Most are just little bits and pieces. In and out.

Every artist' sound is an accumulation of all of their influences, mixed with their own personality, experiences and sensibilities. The classics had theirs as well. It's everything that makes them and all of us original. There's only so many notes and nothing is really ever new.  An A chord is always an A chord, if you get my meaning.

It's just our personality, or interpretation that makes it us. These influences come filtered through our own way of  doing and looking at things. No two people are going to listen to anything and hear it quite the same way. Everyone will have their own reasons and things they like about something that's uniquely their own. All musicians pick up on different bits and pieces that seem to fit their own view and scope musically. No one is the same. That's why no matter how hard some try - you just can't become your favorite band, or artist'. You can be similar, but you're always gonna be you. That's a good thing.

 I always hate it when I'm asked what my influences are. That's a tricky subject for me. I think - You mean right this very moment? and then I think - You don't have that kind of time, or interest, believe me!  Nonetheless, they are there.

The funniest thing is when someone, from their point of view will hear something and think you're influenced by who they're thinking of, and that person is not an influence in any way on you. Never has been. I've had that happen several times. Sometimes you naturally and unintentionally sound like someone and people automatically think you're influenced by them. I've had that happen too.

Like any musician, in my younger years I tried becoming someone else. I used to model bands after other specific bands, etc. As my influences continued to grow and as I matured as a man and musician - that all went right out the window. Right along with being the "Best" guitarist, or "whatever", that ever lived.

You realize at a certain point that it's not at all how technically great you are (though proficiency is important), how fast, or complicated you can play, or how much of a show off you are. Or how much you sound like your favorite player. You eventually realize it's how you do it, period, that makes you great or not.

It's not about being the best or better than anyone else. There's always someone better. Who is the best anyway? I'd say no one knows. Have you heard everyone on earth? I think not. Does it even matter in the least bit? Absolutely not!  It's about being the best you that matters.
It's how I look at it and approach it. It's how I write, sing, play guitar and piano that makes me great. It's my interpretation and personality, not someone elses. The same with Jimmy.


It's he and I together that makes 'Walking Tall' great. Or not, whichever way you choose to look at it.

 That's what makes people truly irreplacable - It's who they were, not really what they played or sang.

If there are natural similarities with someone else, then so be it. It happens. To me - Influence is a completely different thing and we have too many to account for. Some are more obvious than others. Some drop by more often, for whatever reason.

There are less people I don't like, than ones I do. It would be easier to tell someone who are least influencial and it would take a lot less time too.

I can only accurately tell you who my favorite band, or musician is at any given moment and that's completely dictated by whoever happens to be playing, or who I happen to be listening to right then. Ten minutes later, you would get a completely different answer, because I'd be listening to something else.

My wife laughs at me constantly, because I'll say "oh that's one of my all time favorite bands" or "players". She'll say - "You say that about virtually everybody"! She thinks it's hilarious!

True enough . . .

Jimmy and I are both way more influenced by great songs, rather than specific musicians, or bands.
Though we recognize the ones that stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Those are usually the ones with the best songwriters rather than the greatest instrumentalist'.

Influence is complicated to me any way I look at it. It all too subjective, even from moment to moment within myself.
If I think about it too much, I begin to feel like a dog chasing it's tail round and round endlessly.
So generally, I just do what I do and I don't think about it at all until it's done. Never before and I try to avoid it during the process if at all possible.


Still, when I'm just listening to something that's done - I like it when I can hear influences subtly coming through, especially when it's not an obvious one that you'd expect and especially when you never intended on it. Of course, there are also the ones I'd expect to hear in what we're doing, to be honest about it. I do hear a lot of  "Eagles" and early "Elton John" inherent in our stuff just by nature of musical approximation (Natural and intentional), as well as many others that are easily identified. Though It's the million other's that are most surprising and fun to hear come through.


It's almost like seeing an old friend that is somehow, forever connected to you on a spiritual level. A homage to what came before and a validation of the work you do now. A coming together of the two - them and you. The original dream of every musician. An endless unbroken chain of all great music, past, present and future . . .

The greatest thing and achievement on our part I guess, is that even with all of that - It's sounds uniquely like "us". Bret Santti and Jimmy "Vegas" Tuttle. - 'Walking Tall' . . .

- Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts