What's Sleep!?

2:15 am and I'm taking a break and listening to "Bleed Your Name". I just can't get enough of this song!

I finished off my electric guitar parts on it. Hopefully I didn't miss the mark. I didn't want to be predictable on it and just do what one might expect. I really like the rhythm part I added. I kept the fills I did the previous day, but redid the rest. I settled on a clean solo at the end that was picked with my fingers ala Jeff Beck style. It just sounded best that way. I actually had two alternate solos for it. One was distorted and busy, kind of run of the mill and one was really country clean chicken pickin' stuff. lol
Well, one was way to predictable and the country one (although it was cool) was too country for the song. I settled on something somewhere in between that complimented the vocal that's over the top of it. Simplicity. Less is more approach. I ended up using a Fender, Tweed Bassman amp and a 4x10 cab mic'd with a 67 condenser. A little touch of chorus. I double tracked everything and panned the rhythm part hard left & right with a little slap back delay in the right channel only. This helps make it sound haunting.

This song sounds HUGE!
I'll have to step away from the song for a few days to see if I'm really happy with my performances or not. It was the best I could do today anyway. It must be real close because the song gives me chills at times. Now if only I could stop listening to it, so I could move onto another song, it would be nice.

Not sure what I'll tackle next. I'll have to listen to a few of 'em and look for the inspiration to strike. I wish there was no need for sleep because I'd just keep on going.

- Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts