I finally stopped working at 5 am this morning and now just after noon, I'm back at it again.
Once I get going, I never want to stop. Lot's of Coffee and Coca Cola!
I'm on a roll now. Working on "Bleed Your Name" and after Jimmy's brilliant bass line I'm inspired!
Excellent bass lines are being laid down on this stuff!

Let me tell you, the world is gonna find out just how great of a lead guitar player Jimmy is also. Our playing styles compliment each other very well, as do our vocals.

"Bleed Your Name" is turning out pretty epic. A fantastic song to begin with and now getting to hear it all come together on recording is a pretty spectacular thing. I find myself listening to it over and over again. Very proud of that one also. Jimmy said one day that he occasionally writes a little on Piano and played me this little bit which ended up being the verse. I quickly learned it and immediately added a pre-chorus that reminded us both of early Elton John (Never a bad thing to happen when working on Piano) which then led us both into the chorus and James into the bridge. We then discussed a topic and both wrote the lyrics together and arranged it all. All in a matter of a couple of hours. It's pretty magical how a song gets written and believe me when I say that it happens in every way you could possibly imagine. Once we were done we knew we had a good one. It's both beautiful and haunting . . .

Now at the Pre Production stage of full on demos, it's looking like it will be the first one to cross the finish line. With Drums & Percussion, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Strings, a scratch Vocal and now Electric Guitars being added it's getting close.

Jimmy will be handling lead vocals on this one and he is absolutely right when he says he'll really have to nail it. There's no room for anything put a stellar vocal. If anyone can deliver that it's Jimmy!

I spent hours yesterday searching for and building the tones and right guitar combination. Usually you hear a song and can hear possible parts and the tones you will search for. Sometimes what you hear in your head works and sometimes it doesn't. In this case it took a bit of experimentation. Finally, I hit upon the right idea and tone. After trying several different guitars I found one of my Fender Strats with active EMG's up to the task. Then I spent hours writing the part which is a very precise and clean picking piece that really seems to add to the songs already haunting effect. Getting the perfect performance on it is still ongoing. This led me to several guitar fills to go along with it. They are a good build to Jimmy's excellent main solo.
As Jimmy stated in a previous post - the end part of the song needs something and I am still in the experimental stage of that. Over all the song doesn't need much else.

As I've said, it's a lot of work and it takes time. You can't rush stuff like this, especially with everything riding on your next record. It's a drag searching for tones and all of that, but once you find the right part and nail it, there's no better feeling in the world. Sometimes your original vision comes into clear focus and sometimes it surprises you completely. Well, I'm thoroughly surprised in a very good way!

This week got off to a slow start for me for some reason, but now I'm rolling.
Back to work I go. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts