My favorite thing about making this record, aside from getting to work with someone as talented as Jimmy Tuttle is the fact that there is nothing contrived about it.

I've made a lot of records over the years and there are many reasons why this one is already my favorite record and experience making one.

Usually people go into the making of a record saying things like let's make this a "heavy record", "blues record", a record in this or that style, or like so and so. Or they say "You can do this, but not that". All kinds of contrived notions. The only thing we said was let's make the best record possible with the absolute best songs we can. Total freedom and no limitations. Our sound will evolve out of that.

This record will be a happening. We like to say that you have no clue about what to expect with this record and truth be told - neither do we. I like that a lot!

I never wanted to make just another record. I want to make THE record. The only way to do that is by not having any limitations or expectations of it, or ourselves other than being the best we can.
You can try to make something happen, or you can let it happen. Just letting it happen is where you get "magic". I personally prefer to look at an empty canvass and paint the picture as I go, letting the portrait unfold before me. For me, what I end up with is much more rewarding than knowing exactly what it's gonna look like before I start.

We do not care about trends, or what is "Happening" now, or about what anyone else is doing. We could care less what the industry thinks entirely. We only hope that people in general who love great music and albums will love it. At the end of the day, whether this sells well or not - As long as we can sit there and listen to it along side our favorite classic albums and feel it holds up - then mission accomplished. Anything else will be a bonus to be grateful for!

-Bret

Comments

Popular Posts