Half Way Through The Week . . .

How are you doing so far?
Tuesday I gave my work on "Life Happens Here" another listen and to my pleasant surprise, it was good. I like it. It's amazing what a little sleep can do for you. I also got confirmation from Jimmy that it was good. He put down a new bass line on it that is absolutely fantastic!! It brought the whole song up a level. Excellent!

I spent the rest of the day re focused on "Time Is The Enemy". When I first attempted to work on my guitar parts on this one, I was thinking that it should remain primarily acoustic. The song was written that way and sounds really good acoustical, but with a little bit of experimentation I went in another direction with it.

I'm very happy with what I've done on this one. I finished it tonight and I had such a great time over the last two days writing the parts and recording them. It really sets the tone and feel for the song and I think it really fits the lyrics and story well. Sets the scene, shall we say?

This one has great acoustic guitar work by Jimmy and drums by Mike. It has my piano work and now electric guitars. Since it's a song I sing, I put down a scratch vocal just for reference. The real one will be done later when the music is all finished. Next, the song gets Jimmy's bass lines and who knows what else. Maybe nothing. It's real close already and sometimes less IS more. We'll see. It'll definitely get lots of harmony vocals though.

I got the guitar sound on this one using my old ADA, MP-1 Classic Preamp that I dug out, using one of it's clean channels with a touch of Chorus. I also used an MXR, Carbon Copy Analog Delay and an MXR, Custom Comp Compressor. The guitar was the Gibson, Les Paul Alex Lifeson using the built in Piezo pickup. The sound I got is awesome! No double tracking on this one (Yes, I'm Sure!).

This is such a great song. For some reason I really connect with this song on a deep level. I don't think there will be anyone who doesn't immediately relate to it once they hear the words. It's definitely one of my favorites so far.

I've sent the files off to James and took a little break to write to you. Next I'll give several others a listen and try to decide what to tackle next when I get started tomorrow.
Jimmy's been working on the bass lines to "My Time", I can't wait to hear it. . .

-Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts