Well, as I suspected in my own mind to begin with - Today was a lot of getting back into playing guitar after focusing on Piano for several weeks. As my friend stated previously and correctly that a lot goes unseen. We have a lot of things on the burner so to speak that we're working on in addition to this record, so some days don't seem as productive even though they actually were. Business issues need tending to also.

I was able to get the rest of the guitars re-stringed and got to play and experiment with some parts. The other big job is getting the right tones, etc., this can take awhile. Then there's going over all of the songs we haven't started recording yet too and deciding Hmm . . . Do I work on one we already got going, or do I start one of the others? And then the question becomes which one?
There are a lot of new songs!!  There is always the danger of a brand new one appearing out of the blue too!

I have come to the decision that I'll start with one we already have well on it's way - "Time Is The Enemy".  This one really reminds me of something The Eagles would've done back in the day. It's one of my personal favorites of ours. Very proud of that song. You know you nailed it when you play it for a proven hit songwriter with lots of platinum on his walls and upon completion he tells you - "I wouldn't change a thing, I couldn't add anything to that, it's great! it's done!"

 When Jimmy and I first started working together we were meeting way up there in Shingle Springs, out in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, he kept saying every so often that time was the enemy. So on my long drives down the hill at four in the morning I kept hearing this song and topic in my head. (Yes, I often write while driving!) I would have an hour and a half drive every night to think about what all that meant to me, for several days before I ever mentioned I had it. One day I said I got one for ya - "Time Is The Enemy". Then Jimmy and I sat down one evening and finished the whole song off together, as well as two or three others. It was one of the first songs we ever co-wrote together.

So James has some of his guitar parts down, I have the piano down, drums are down too. Great! All it needs is my guitar parts and solo, Jimmy's bass guitar, my lead vocal and the harmony vocals. Looks like the Gibson, Hummingbird acoustic goes to work first!

See you at the other end . . .
- Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts