I won't get into all the reasons I feel the sound of analogue recording is by far superior to digital, or the scientific facts that back that up. That's for another post some other time. I will say that there are advantages to both over all.

Every recording I've ever done has been in a major studio, on 2" Analogue tape. Aside from the sound, the advantages are too many to list here. The disadvantages are the cost - An average of $165 an hour. The cost of tape - $155 a reel. Each reel only holds approx 15 minutes of recording time, so times that by how ever many you need to get your project down. Editing can only be done by someone highly skilled that has the patience of a saint. Scheduling is another pain in the ass. It goes on and on, but the worst part is that when you run out of money or time - you're project is done, whether you thought it was or not.

I've done some digital recording for demos in the past, but this is the first time I've ever done an album recorded digitally. I'm currently using Pro tools 11 myself. Mastering the software hasn't posed a problem at all and with all I know about recording and production the process is really no different in either medium, except there are way more ways to cheat in the digital medium. I absolutely hate cheating. It takes the human feel out of everything and it's nowhere near as fun or rewarding. So I tend to approach it the same way as I would analogue everywhere I can. The only real difference being I'm recording to disc rather than tape.  I can edit stuff so much easier too.

It really is amazing that we can now record in our own studios, in our own homes and collaborate with the rest of the band, or whomever and never even have to be in the same room and still get major label quality recordings. Of course there's something to be said about getting musicians together in a room to record, but that's a post unto itself also.

So here I am actually enjoying the freedom that this medium gives me. I can take as long as I like until I'm satisfied with something. It's not costing me money. I can get the best performance whenever it should strike, day or night. There's an endless number of tracks. No one looking over my shoulder (I think), This list really could go on and on. So many things I DO like about this medium, okay! I'll admit it!

Today I discovered a few setbacks. Noises and distractions in and around my house. My wife being able to locate me really easily for other things! lol
Now we've been together for the better part of two decades and she's been through this record thing many times, but this is the first time she's experienced it this close. No one really understands what it takes and takes out of you when you're working on an album. Especially if you're the type who lives and breathes it while in the process. James and I are both that way. There's nothing more important!
In the past I would leave for the studio and that was that. She knew I was spending a lot of money to be somewhere and had limited time. She'd visit sometimes, but there was no interruptions.
Now she's there the whole time and is just now seeing what really goes into it all. I must make it look really easy because she seems to think I can do that and everything else all at once! lmao

So today life kept knocking on the door and I got sidetracked a few times. Oh well. I did some scratch tracks and realized I'll have to strategically plan my sessions for when I'm using a mic set up for acoustic or vocals. I switched to electric guitars because these days we no longer mic speaker cabinets, it's all direct through whatever it is you're using. In my case I have an Eleven Rack and a Line 6  PODXT Pro. There's an endless combination of amp and guitar choices here and every song requires various different things. So I spent the rest of the day searching for the right tones and the right guitar. This can take forever & a day and whatever sounds great on it's own may not sound so great in the song. It's a process.
One that I don't think you would want to sit and watch, read, or listen to. So hopefully I'll have a more interesting post on progress in the next few days. . .

Late last night, or should I say this morning? oh wait, yesterday morning now!
James and I were listening to each of our newest contributions "Not Enough For Love" and "Every Breath I Breathe". We had a very good and inspired discussion of where to go with these two songs, so we'll of course be finishing them off together. I think they're going to be really great!
Speaking of James, I can't wait to read his latest post!
I know he's been having one of those days today too, so it should be good. lol
He's also been working on the Bass Guitar parts. I'm gonna give a listen to his part on "Bleed Your Name" right now for the first time. Awesome!

-Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts