Slide Guitar, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar...All of the Above!

Another day of laying down tracks after playing with Windows 8.1 and trying to get it to play tracks again.   After doing a bunch of windows updates, go figure, everything works as it should again!    At least we don't have to worry about demagnetizing the tape heads, cleaning the tape heads, storing the tape, etc... this is certainly a billion times easier.  The 2 inch tape days were epic for warmth and tone but not so much for storing a million 12x12x4 rolls of tape in a warm dry place that is "Air Tight" and able to preserve the recording.   The actual Hard drive storage is much simpler without a doubt and even better when you get a finish product that you can transfer to a mini-usb jump drive.   The quality is as good or better these days and all of the big boys are using the analog simulation plug ins to get that same tone at a fraction of the cost!
I would say I sort of got distracted by the lack of a functioning PC today and I have to spend about 10 hours diagnosing and fixing the damn PC but it was overcome in the end with the typical software updates.

Today was a blast playing along to the song "Time is the enemy"  - I double tracked some slide but in the end I just laid down a few ideas because I really need to live with what is there right now and try to again set the mood without putting to many over dubs that cannot be reproduced live without adding a few more guys to the band.   The trick is to write a memorable part and at the same time put a hook that keeps you coming back to the song humming a melody.   I came up with quite a few today and even spent the day shredding along with this so because it was so inspiring it was almost impossible for me to just play a single part and not go for it with a solo.   I will be spending the better part of tonight listening to the song and looking for spots to put a simplistic hook that also says something without over taking the vocals on the track.   I feel like I am on the cusp of something brilliant but I will be jamming and listening for the next few hours as I try and feel my way into the proper parts for the tune.   The basic bass line is written and recorded but also subject to change as we go down the road of re-recording drums and the whole song after the demo process ends.

There are some truly inspired songs that we have written.   I really feel like we have said something new, something familiar and something epic on this next CD we are putting together.   I want to run through this and just record everything but right now its back to the baby steps of listening and identifying the important hooks and melodies for the songs.   I want to get the acoustics done for "Not Enough For Love" but the other songs are requiring my attention so the acoustic is not going to get any action tonight.    The old goat "Aria Pro" is out of the case after a year in the back of the car and the star bucks is getting a little more action tonight as well while we figure the rest of the parts!  It's back to work I suppose!  - Jimmy

Comments

Popular Posts