My Turn To Burn The Midnight Oil!

Playing another instrument like the bass or the keyboards when you are normally a singer who also plays guitars means that you have to do a lot of listening to other players who have written and recorded great stuff.   I have been on a 70's vibe for the past few weeks jamming to all sorts of stuff and yet trying not to overplay so that my part doesn't over power the song.   Part of me wants to keep it simple and the other part of me wants to work hard to glue the drums to the bass and the keys to the guitars and the melodies to everything.   Its funny how much time and effort we are putting into the supporting tracks for the music so that we can ultimately sing along to these recorded tracks and hopefully inspire other people to thing about the music and the message vibe that we are trying to capture.   There is always the thought in the back of your mind that states... "Have I gone to far?  Have over played?  Have I really done the part that the song needs?"  - the answer is usually found in the most obscure way when listening back.   It begins with a head nod then smile, then ultimately the statement "I didn't hear anything that sucked on that last take" - or my favorite "Keeper"!   There is always room for improvement.  By the time anyone outside of the band hears a track, the musician, engineer, producer have heard the song so many times that hopefully there was an opportunity to get the right take, the right vibe and the right tone in the song.   As I am playing the bass on the tracks I am thinking about the melodies and how to play along with the drums without the rest of the band.  I then listen to the whole song again with everything and then try to imagine the bass adding to the underlying melody for the vocal parts.   The opportunity to fill dead space exists and there is opportunity to miss the mark in every take or comp track.   My methods are pretty simple in most cases.   I record a "Jam Take" or "Scratch Idea" and then I come back and listen to the song again for a day.  Then I try to see what value my part added if any and how it enhances the song or could be improved via better performance or better part in the song.

Thank God I have a brilliant partner who has the big picture in mind.   When I produce songs I tend to add as much as I possibly can and then let other people start taking parts away.   The old tried and true method of "Better to have and not want than to want and to not have" - I always say!    I enjoyed playing tonight and eventually settled on a pick on this track for getting the attack just right and the calluses on the fingers were slowing me down a little.   I guess you might say I use a hybrid approach to bass - fingers and picks when required.   I think Bret will have to be the voice of reason as we start getting to final mixes and what will eventually live on the track.   I think we both agree on a very simple bass tracking approach and a bass part that will glue it all together.  It has to be good enough to past the mustard with Jeff!

I enjoyed the piano on time is the enemy and this is a big departure from all guitars on Cd's of old.  We are breaking new ground and we are looking to enhance these songs with any instrument that will help us tell the story properly.  Its around 5:35 and the sun is peaking over the horizon threatening to rise and shine.  I have so much work to get done and so very little time to do it!   I am trying to attack the tracks with every spare moment I can muster.   Bret has been carrying the torch and I can't wait until its my turn to get back into the electric guitars and vocals.   This should be a grand journey and we should be very proud with the end result.
There is a great sense of pride and emotion going into every single track   Something we will surely leave as a body of work to our children and hopefully inspire others to listen and feel something real.

A short detour from "Positive Town" to "Hatersville"...
 Most people who have been in or around the music scene for way to long are looking for fault or weakness in a band to serve a personal agenda... We are finding the passion and the inspiration to create great music based on a mutual desire to deliver a stellar product.  We have a short list of goals... at the top, write great songs and deliver an inspiring compilation of music that will be a measuring stick for our contribution to the music business.  There are so many copy cats and imitators, so many critics and ego maniacs but some things are truly undeniable and there is no taking that away from this product.   Hope the haters pack a lunch on this one!  When they get done serving their agenda with what ever sorted gossip or stories they tell, the truth of the matter is when you die, who's gonna miss you when your gone?  If you don't leave a legacy worthy of being remembered, If you write and create inspired and emotional content with melody... you are immortal.  Most people didn't listen to their mothers when they were told, "If you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut and don't make eye contact!"   The great Zig Ziglar said it best... "For some people, the only time they get a taste of success is when they take a bite out of you" & "Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful".... Anyways..."Haters gotta hate, Creators gotta create!"
We won't stop ever and the more it bothers some, the more we are going to annoy and bother.  You can bet your bottom dollar on that sports fans!   Don't expect us to quit ever so expect us for the duration folks!
Lets face it... Being critical is easy...Hard work is all around us and few are willing to put the time in.  We worked hard and we have kept pushing and fighting for the end result as well to be heard.  The music is great maybe even "EPIC" - but there is one thing for sure, we hear lots of people complaining but very few with answers to the problem.   How do you get people to buy your music?  Simple, write great songs!  The End!

I feel the momentum building....Here comes the sun!  6am beckons and so does sunrise! Off to bed -Jimmy

Comments

Popular Posts