And a new week begins . . .

I did end up working for several hours on Saturday and got all of the parts I had written recorded on "Life Happens Here". I had to decide what needed double tracking and what didn't. I like to double track a lot - it sounds full and alive. A lot of times I'll do slightly different tones on two tracks and record the same exact part and pan them. I'll repeat that process for each part. I don't like to just route the signal to two different tracks, I like to actually play the part and record them twice. It sounds better.

In this case there ended up being a lot of tracks because the tones varied from part to part - Intro, verses, pre choruses, choruses, etc. So each part of the rhythm guitar was tracked on its own track (This is not usual). Each section will also have to be at different volumes in the mix later and this will save a lot of time and effort in mix down too.

It ends up being more complex than most other songs, but the way I recorded it simplifies the whole thing sufficiently. When you finally get to hear it it will sound like one guitar playing through the song, but will have all the dynamics and tones that's required.

I also ended up deciding that for the purposes of this song that most of the parts in fact sounded better not being double tracked. Only two parts sounded better double tracked. The rest are better single in this case.
"Bleed Your Name" on the other hand sounded better with everything double tracked.

It all took awhile as usual to get a performance I was satisfied with, but now its a done deal.

Now today I move on to the main solo in the song. Jimmy and I are both playing lead on this record, but this one is one of mine. I have an idea of what it will be in my head already, but you know how that goes. lol
After I'm done with that then I can move on to another song.

I think at some point this week that I'll take a break from guitars and record some scratch vocals on the songs that I sing just for something different. Jimmy and I are also sharing lead vocals on the record too 50/50. I played all of the Piano and Orchestration and he is doing all of the Bass Guitar work.
But for now, it's back to Guitars.

This should be a productive evening and a productive week . . .

-Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts