Time To Work . . .

Hello there, You didn't really think I'd be away for more than a couple of days did you?
One good nights sleep and all is well . . .

Today I'll be revisiting "Time Is The Enemy". Although I am happy with the guitar solo I have on there and feel it solidifies the mood of the story, after getting Jimmy's feedback I decided to take a fresh approach and come at it from a different angle. The solo was very subtle and it was suggested that something a little more aggressive and climatic may be in order. Nothing's getting erased, it just gives us more options in the end which is a good thing. Jimmy keeps having to remind me that this is not the final record here, this is where we should be experimenting and exploring before deciding on a final point of view. He is absolutely right in that respect. This is the first time I have ever had the luxury of doing full blown production demos prior to doing the actual record. I have always had to do the record straight away with minimal pre production demoing due to cost and time restrictions. This way is never a good thing as you end up stuck with things you'd rather not be stuck with in the end. The way we are able to do it these days affords a lot more options for getting it right and by the time it gets to the final product then it will really be the best it can be. You hope anyway. lol
You always run the risk of over doing things, over analyzing and ruining the spontaneity and magic of the first incarnation of something. By and large though, the benefits far outweigh those risks.

Another benefit of the digital recording age is we'll never run out of tracks and can do whatever we want with as many variations as we can handle. In the end, we just have to wade through the mess and carefully select what works best for the song. Really thorough note taking is essential through this whole process.

After a new alternate solo on "Time Is The Enemy", I will re focus on "If These Walls Could Talk" next. After that I really need to put some scratch vocals down on some songs (as I said before) and I'll also start a number of the 30 or so tunes we haven't even begun demoing yet. Then I'll go back to the 20 or so we've already started and see what inspiration strikes me on those then. Keep in mind that the writing sessions never end and there will be even more songs added to the demo list before we're done and on to the final record.

There is so much work to do and believe me - there is no one that works any harder than we do at this.
We could try and speculate on when we think we'll be done with this record, but we'd probably end up being wrong. I'm sure it will take longer than we think. If I said September / October it would be purely fantasy at this point, although not impossible. In any case, I am far more concerned with the final product quality than the time frame it takes to get there. I'm sure James agrees.

After a few days off, some rest and some objective reflection -  I'm ready to get back to it. . .

-Bret.

Comments

Popular Posts